Saturday, October 30, 2010

Accomplished


I had so many things that I wanted to accomplish during my month at home. I wanted to rearrange the furniture in my bedroom, organize the attic, and clean out the cabinets in the laundry room. Instead, I built a tower with blocks, learned to change my voice for different characters in a story, and semi-mastered a bedtime routine.

And I feel like I accomplished a lot. Giles County’s newest citizen has learned to find the toy department at Wal-Mart, appreciates the 5 cent coke at Reeves, and knows most of his great-grandfather’s friends at NHC on a first name basis. So while my bedroom may look the same, nothing else about my life remains unchanged.

Someone asked me earlier tonight if my life was completely different now. And without hesitation, I said yes. But it is the best kind of different I could have ever dreamed of. There are nights when Larkin refuses to sleep and wants to be rocked for 20 extra minutes and I have to remind myself that I chose this journey, and that 20 more minutes don’t compare to the two long years it took for him to arrive!

I don’t think I realized that something was missing from my life until he arrived. And I guess the saying is true that you don’t miss what you don’t have. Now, I could not imagine my life without him.

1 comment:

  1. Shay,
    Your post made me cry, a good cry! Treasure these days because they go by way too fast. :) I am so happy for you and Larkin.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Donate


Followers

About Me

My photo
I am single, 30 year old teacher in Tennessee. I am anxiously awaiting a child from Ethiopia. I cannot wait to add this adventure to my life!