Thursday, June 18, 2009

Busy Preparing

I realize that I have not updated this in a while. I have my reasons for that. And here they are:
1. I have painted/cleaned/organized the soon-to-be nursery.

2. I have finished my dossier paperwork and have it ready to take to Nashville in a few days!

3. I sent out fundraiser letters to help gain more support from family and friends.

4. I have cleaned out most of the house, so that I will have room for this precious child. Yard sales are not fun, but they are necessary at this point.

5. I have finished another great school year-and I can say that these kids were my favorites! I was so sad to see them go! But I know I will have another great bunch in the fall.

6. I did some traveling in March as a way to reconnect with old friends.

7. My grandfather was in a life-threatening car accident on March 6th, and spent 2 months in ICU. My days were filled with school, taking care of Granddaddy, and a little sleep every now and then. He is now in a nursing home in Pulaski, so it is much easier to help him since he is five minutes away, rather than an hour away in Huntsville.

8. Stephanie built and moved into her new home. I didn't realize she had that much stuff!

9. I have completed a grant application and hope to hear from them soon. This grant will help complete this adoption process, I hope!

10. I have caught up on my scrapbooking, so now I am ready to start a Lifebook for the child. I have been playing around with ideas for a children's book to help him/her adjust to life in a new family.

11. Speaking of Lifebooks, I signed up for a class on how to create a Lifebook and the difference between a Lifebook and a scrapbook. A Lifebook begins when the family begins the adoption. I have written journal entries to the child about my excitement and joy of having him/her join my family.

12. On Saturday, I participated in an adoption class with Vanderbilt Children's Hospital to learn ways to help the child bond and attach with me and the rest of my family. I also discovered some great toys to build fine motor skills. This class was really an awesome time to ask questions of doctors and psychologists who are in contact with adoptive families every day.

13. During this entire process, I have been collecting books and toys for the baby. I went to Build-a-Bear and built the baby a zebra named Addis (the city where he/she will come from). I even included a heartbeat to help soothe the child during naps and at bedtime.

14. I have found bedding for a boy and a girl. Each pattern is so perfect! Blue/green turtles for a boy, and pink/brown snails for a girl. I painted the walls a light tan color so that either pattern will work. I will just add a few things once I know the child I am receiving.

15. Steph and I went to Atlanta a while back, and I found the perfect furniture. And it matches the rocking chair!

Many of you have wanted updates, so here ya go. I promise that I will do a better job keeping you posted. I am anxiously waiting to hear from the grant. I really wish that I could travel with Steph in a few weeks back to Ethiopia, but I know that I must stay here and prepare for my future child. But I am so ready to fly those 16 hours to meet my little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate


Followers

About Me

My photo
I am single, 30 year old teacher in Tennessee. I am anxiously awaiting a child from Ethiopia. I cannot wait to add this adventure to my life!