Monday, June 22, 2009

Family

During our Father's Day gathering, my Papa took us on a trip down Memory Lane. He was telling stories about the trouble that he and his brothers would get into in their small town. And then he told a story that had us all in tears-Papa included. He said that he often forgot his lunch money or that his family didn't have the quarter that he needed for his lunch. A certain lunch lady, Polly, would always make sure that Papa and his brothers had a lunch.

On one certain day in Papa's Senior year of high school, my great-grandfather, Charlie, left early in the morning to haul a load of lumber for the lumber yard. He would go out into the woods and cut trees, load the wood onto his truck, and take the load and sell it to the lumber yard. Papa remembers sitting outside during their morning break and hearing a loud truck rumbling up the road. At first he did not recognize this truck as Charlie's. As Charlie got out of the truck, Papa became embarrassed of the noise and his appearance. What Papa didn't realize at the time was that Charlie was bringing his quarter for lunch. Charlie had gotten up early that morning to take the load of wood so that Papa would have money for lunch.

Now, as Papa reflects on this day, he regrets the embarrassment that he felt. He knew his father was making a sacrifice to be sure that his son had money and could eat lunch that day. This story of sacrifice only strengthens my pride in my family. I am in tears now as I type this. I know that my family has been through hardships and those hardships only bring us closer. As this adoption continues, I am proud to introduce my new child to such a caring, loving family. A family that sacrifices for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate


Followers

About Me

My photo
I am single, 30 year old teacher in Tennessee. I am anxiously awaiting a child from Ethiopia. I cannot wait to add this adventure to my life!